I wanted to a) see if I could create a mould for the carbon fiber idea and b) see how things would turn out, so I set out to create a simple mockup without a bandsaw. I had a spare can of spray insulation, so that seemed like a good idea:
but not really…. So, I went to Bauhaus (i.e. home depot) and got myself a sheet of styrofoam, the kind used to insulate floors.
It was a lot of fun. It taught me a couple of things as well. First of all, the “raised” (or rather, “uncarved”) portion where the controls are supposed to sit will not work. I have angled the edge to sit more comfortably on the leg, so will have to re-think one or the other. Secondly, I made the upper left corner, where the arm rests, quite carved. This is very comfortable and standard “stratty” but will not work out with a body made of a glued on top out of a different material than the bottom. Re-think #2.