I have been a little distracted with work lately, and while visiting my Dad, who is an electronics genius at Telinga Microphones, I let him help me out with building a sustainer circuit following the longest ever thread on Project Guitar. It counts 254 pages of posts at the time of writing.
I have got the circuit working and a bagful of pickup carcasses, so will get back to it once I have my guitar done…
“Stall” is the Swedish word for bridge. It is also the state in which my guitar endeavors have been in for the past couple of weeks, due to a very heavy workload and a skiing-trip. Nonetheless, my Floyd Rose drop-in replacement is taking shape.
I just have to drill the holes for the small screws that will stop the plunger from rotating and make the threads and then I am ready to send the whole thing off to finishing. I’m just hoping that they will let me tag along with someone else’s order since they have a quite hefty minimum charge.
I had a couple of questions over at Project Guitar about the amount of twist of the neck and how the body/bridge relates. I did take a couple of pictures before but didn’t post them, but here they are:
It is a little hard to tell, but you’ll note that the ruler sits about 15 mm above the top in both pictures. To achieve this, the whole body slopes away, downwards, and the neck/fretboard joins the body at about a 7 degree angle. The nut sits at about 20 degree angle in comparison with the body. I have studied what others have done and I guess Lace arrived at the 10.8 degree angle through some kind of trial and error, but I decided to be a little more agressive. The wrist does get a very comfortable position when “fretting” a barré cord. If I decreased the twist, it wouldn’t give quite the same effect. My main concern is the fretting out when bending downwards. Only a test will tell, I guess.
With only about a half hour per day during lunch, progress is painfully slow. I am very happy with what there is though:
I actually got a little bit farther today than what is apparent from these pictures, but will post later. Here are a couple of pictures of my second styrofoam prototype.
Again, the intent is to create a positive mould out of this that I can then create a negative mould out of fibreglass. In this, I will then vacuum bag the carbon fibre back. Finally, a wooden top and fingerboard will be glued onto it.