I am very pleased to bring you the first customer project report! For convenience, here are a couple of pictures:
Looks fantastic Jesse, congratulations, and thanks for sharing your experiences.
Here are the words of Jesse in Oz:
I got my guitar back yesterday; it’s wonderful. I’ve nothing but praise for every aspect of it. The bridges worked out wonderfully. Apparently there were some issues grounding them (anodised aluminium being non-conductive) and mounting them properly (routing would have been a pain, so they drilled an extra screw in each of them and flat-mounted them), but it has worked out very well. The tuners aren’t sticky like some headless tuners I’ve tried and I like the precision. Some photos follow:
The light bridges really helped bring the weight of the guitar down (it’s about 2 kg). I can’t thank you enough for providing such a great product .
I shipped a couple more units today, making the customer map look like this:
I intend to follow up with the builders of Jesse’s guitar to sort out the grounding issues so that any necessary design updates can be made.
As advertised previously, I have been working on converting a knock-off Les Paul Special (kind-of) to a headless design. Since the subject in question is actually not playable (neck is bent beyond repair), I have not attempted to make it a nice looking instrument. Instead, I am merely trying to illustrate some of the levels of freedom you get with EGS.
Here is the end result:
I began with the converted Tune-o-Matic tailpiece that I have shown earlier.
And a $100 guitar that was given to me as scrap.
Here, I have routed a ditch behind the tuners to allow access for the fingers.
For the head, I decided on an adventurous design, again only to illustrate the flexibility of the EGS string locks.
You lock the strings from the inside of the “V”:
The end result again:
Now, I don’t have the Tune-o-Matic available as a standard product. Please do contact me though if you have one that you would like to have converted. In the future, I may develop this concept further, but for now I will rely on standard parts.
I am happy to say that I have a quantity of fixed bridge parts coming back from anodization any day now, so will be in a position to ship any orders placed quickly. This new batch has the new logo on the base plate, like the tremolo. I also still have a couple of the tremolo prototypes available for sale, both silver and black. Use the Products page for pricing and orders.
My plan is to put a live customer map up, but for now: here is a snapshot of the Strandberg Guitarworks EGS bridge customer distribution as of May 2009.
There are a lot of builds going on throughout the world and I am really looking forward to publishing the progress here in the near future. Feel free to make your mark on my map!