The new builds are now well under way. Here are all the materials planed, squared and ready.
From left to right:
- (top) mahogany veneer 1,5 mm thick to laminate neck with
- some wenge veneer that I may or may not use
- ebony fretboard blanks (made during last build)
- wenge top
- maple top (identical to last build)
- flatsawn maple to be cut, stacked and laminated into neck blanks
- honduras mahogany
- swamp ash (from same batch as last build)
When I started measuring, I realized that the neck blank for the neck-through 7-string will let me cut a matching second blank from underneath. This gave me the idea that I will build an 8-string while I’m at it… I at least have the neck materials and I do have some old zebrano laying around that I could use for the body.
Regarding the neck blank, I am in the middle of an experiment that is baking out in the shop. I will say for now that it involves carbon fiber, epoxi and wood. More later!